Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I wonder if her powers extend to the lottery?

Steve has meetings this week. All day meetings. ALLLLLLLL day meetings. We’re talking out of the house at 7am, home at 9:30pm. That is a long day, especially when all you’re doing is sitting and listening. So, I assume exhaustion is to blame for the conversation we had last night…

Steve: I have to leave before Brigid is awake, and I don’t get home until after she goes to bed. I can’t believe I’m not going to see the baby for three days!
Me: Do I need to go wake her up for you?
Steve: No, but I’m kind of sad about it.

Now, we’ve already established that Brigid knows things. I don’t know how she does it, but she has the uncanny ability to pick the most inopportune time to change things up. And a conversation like that? That’s just tempting fate. So, really, it didn’t shock me at all that the child who normally sleeps until 8am was up at 5:30 this morning, looking for her pacifier. And I definitely wasn’t surprised that after giving her the pacifier, putting her back to bed, and getting in the shower myself, she woke up again, refusing to go back to sleep until Steve fed her. And even then, she was up for the day by 7, in plenty of time to say goodbye to daddy. So, yeah, that whole three days thing? Didn’t really happen. Crisis averted.

Personally, I enjoyed hanging out with happy baby this morning, but I’m not the one who had to get out of bed an hour earlier than normal. And I get to go home at a decent hour. Although, Steve did get to see Melinda Doolittle perform last night, so it’s probably an equal trade-off, right?*

Anyway, my moral for this story is be careful what you wish for, especially in my house. If you ask for it, the genie baby will probably make it happen. She’s slick like that.


*Side story: Steve called yesterday during a break in the meetings to tell me that they were bringing in a special musical guest for the evening’s dinner. Being on an American Idol kick, and because of the meeting he was attending, his first hope was Carrie Underwood. And his exact comment was, ‘I hope she doesn’t bring her fiancé with her, because then I won’t stand a chance.’ Yes, there’s a joke to be made there, and no, I’m not going to make it. Mostly because I already made it yesterday.

In any case, the special guest? Melinda Doolittle. Right show, wrong singing lady.

Poor guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!