Friday, August 5, 2011

What Brigid Does

I've said this before, and I will say it again...I am absolutely terrified to have another child, because the one I have now is so very, very perfect that I'm afraid number two will be the spawn of satan himself.

(And now I've just gone and quadrupled the therapist bills for my imaginary second child, who's whole life narrative will revolve around not living up to his/her sister's completely random, and not due to anything I've done as a parent, toddler personality. I win at parenting, obviously.)

(But seriously, if you met Brigid, you would understand.)

(Actually, you probably wouldn't, because if you were meeting her for the first time, all you would most likely see of her would be the back of her head as she buried her face in my neck, crying because you dared to look at her.)

(She's shy, see? But it's so absolutely adorable!)

But, I'm also fully aware that instead of worrying about that, I should just focus on what I do have, and enjoy every minute of it. So if you don't mind, I will be over here enjoying my kid while she...

...sits quietly on her frog chair, entertaining herself with a book while daddy runs to the restroom.

...wakes us with a kiss when we fall asleep in the middle of playtime. (Parent secret: we're not actually sleeping, we just want a kiss...)

...begs daddy to sing If You're Happy and You Know It while she acts out whatever happy action he sings with bathtub Elmo. (For some reason, this often involves blowing her nose on Elmo, and covering her ears and screaming out loud, because my husband has a very bad sense of humor...)

...calls the dogs into her room for our nightly dance party, until they get too rowdy, and she makes them leave again with a hug, a kiss, and a 'night-night pey-pey'. (That would be a big goodnight to our dog, Peyton, by the way. B doesn't really call Riley by name, yet. In fact, her name for Riley sounds an awful lot closer to 'bad dog' than Riley, if you listen carefully. Go figure...)

...remains such a creature of habit that, just because I danced with her frog one night this week, I have to dance with her frog every night this week. (What can I say, her attention to details like this just slay me...)

...asks me to pick her up and take her upstairs with me when I get home from work so that she can 'play in mommy's closet' while I change into something less dry-clean-only for dinner/playtime/bedtime. (Apparently, 'playing in mommy's closet' involves dressing up in scarves, bracelets, and a hat, and posing for pictures against the bathroom door. I have no idea where that comes from...)

...is just an all around awesome person to hang out with on a daily basis.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm lucky, people. I am so, so very lucky to have her around, and I know it, and I am thankful everyday because of it.

I love that crazy kid...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!