Friday, January 23, 2015

Kids Are Weird, Part 809

Brigid lives on nothing but string cheese and air. She will eat chicken fingers and macaroni and cheese from a box, and every once in awhile I can get her to eat green beans by referring to them as green french fries and letting her dip them in ketchup.

Beyond that? She won't eat much at all. If I'm making chicken for dinner, hers has to be plain and include the ketchup dipping sauce. Even if the chicken is basically plain, but it was cooked in some kind of green herb? She won't eat it unless I've picked every last speck of green off of it. Green flecks on pizza? Won't eat it. Green flecks on noodles? Nope.

She won't eat rice or anything that resembles rice. No veggies, no spices, nothing interesting at all.

If it's something that would appeal to almost anyone else in the world, she is not going to eat it.

Which is what makes living with Caitlin so much more strange, because that kid? She will eat pretty much anything you put in front of her. I've seen her eat sushi, pork belly, plain spinach leaves, and various spicy sauces. She just likes food. She eats more variety than Steve and I do, now that I think about it, because I won't touch pork belly, and Steve wouldn't be caught dead with a piece of spinach.

She actively chooses bell peppers for snacks. It's depressing when you realize that your still-nonverbal-2yr-old makes better life choices than you do some days.

Of course, today when I went to get her up from her nap, I found her standing up in her crib, completely naked, after she'd taken all of her clothes and her diaper off in protest of how long it took me to get to her. So maybe I shouldn't feel too bad about her life choices?

1 comment:

  1. Ha. Brigid and Rylynne are on almost the same diet, except Rylynne LOVES noodles with green specks.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!