Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fifteen Month Check-Up: Caitlin Edition

As if I wasn't dreading Caitlin's morning appointment enough for the potential doctor-led scolding I was expecting, the powers that be decided to drop a heap of surprise road construction and one lane highways on me as well, meaning that my usually fifteen minute drive to the doctor took closer to an hour.

Also meaning that technically, I missed the appointment altogether.

See, my doctor has this rule about being more than fifteen minutes late, in that if you ARE more than fifteen minutes late, you get rescheduled to a later time, because SHAME ON YOU FOR MAKING YOUR DOCTOR WAIT. And honestly, I get it. I do. I like to think that this rule will make me all kinds of happy in the future, when I'm not stuck waiting in the office for 30 minutes past my scheduled appointment, all because someone else couldn't get there in time for their appointment. It's probably a good thing for everyone.

But this morning? After I'd left my house at 8:40am to find traffic stopped dead about a mile from said house, after I'd called at 8:50am to tell them I was definitely going to be late because of said stopped traffic, after I'd called them AGAIN at 9:15 to tell them I was STILL at least ten minutes out from the office and STILL sitting in traffic and was there anything they could do to help me? After they put me on hold for five minutes while they tried to see if there was any possible way they could still see my baby today? After I remembered sitting in the exam room during the last well visit for close to twenty minutes between seeing the doctor and having the nurse finally come back to give Caitlin her shots?

I can't say I was too high on the rule at that point. In fact, I may have had a slight breakdown around the fact that I was already closing in on a 45 minute trip, AND I was already going to be late to work (which has been a roller coaster of stressful situations in and of itself these last few weeks), AND I had already stressed myself out enough around Caitlin not walking, AND I was NOT going to be thrilled if they tried to push us out to another day.

Anyway. The doctor was booked for the rest of the day, but there was an opening at 10:30am with the nurse practitioner, so when Caitlin and I showed up at the office shortly after 9:30am, we settled in for a wait, and at 10:27am*, we were finally called back.

I'll be interested to see what kind of sick visit we have ahead of us after an hour spent in the waiting room for her well visit appointment, but I guess that's neither here nor there...

And now...the stats!

(Caitlin got blood drawn from her finger and shots in her poor little thigh. I feel like you can sense the betrayal in her eyes through the picture below. She is judging me harshly...)
Fifteen month stats, Caitlin:
Length: 31.75 inches (85th percentile)
(Twelve months - 31.25/95th)
(Nine months - 28.5/78th)
(Six months - 26/67th)
(Four months - 24.75/69th)
Weight: 22lbs 6.5oz (43rd percentile)
(Twelve months - 20lbs 15.4oz/42nd)
(Nine months - 19lbs 3oz/54th)
(Six months - 16lbs 6oz/59th)
(Four months - 13lbs 4oz/56th)
Fifteen month stats, Brigid:
Length: 30.5 inches (55th percentile)
(Twelve months - 30.5/90th)
(Nine months - 27.5/50th)
(Six months - 26.25/75th)
(Four months - 25/80th)
Weight: 24lbs 6oz (75th percentile)
(Twelve months - 22lbs 14oz/70th)
(Nine months - 20lbs 14oz/80th)
(Six months - 17lbs 9oz/85th)
(Four months - 14lbs 10oz/75th)

The NP asked if we had any concerns about Caitlin's ability to grasp things, which Caitlin answered by firmly grasping the NP's stethoscope and pulling it off of her neck. She asked if Caitlin could ask for things that she wanted through noises and pointing. She asked about playtime. Then she asked if we had any concerns about any of her other areas of development, at which point Caitlin kept trying to pull her socks back on over her feet, and I was all 'Oh, not at all. My kid knows how to dress herself already. See? She's really exceptional. She's trying to put her socks back on. But...uh...yeah. Now that you mention it...she's not walking, yet. BUT LOOK AT HER TRYING TO PULL HER SHIRT OVER HER HEAD!' The NP had Caitlin stand up, and said she's perfectly fine and more than ready to walk, she just must not want to do so right now. And then she told me to feed the kid more spinach (slightly low iron in the bloodwork results) and watch for more teeth (slightly higher white blood cells in the same results), and that was that.

And then I bought myself Subway to celebrate. The end.



*I was watching the clock intently, because if, as they kept telling me, so many other people were having problems getting in because of the traffic, too, didn't that mean there was a possibility that they could take me back early? Maybe? Please?

No. No it did not. You will wait your hour, and YOU WILL LIKE IT.

1 comment:

  1. I have a very similar post-shots betrayal picture of Ryan. And I am glad you posted about this. Now that I know what they do, I can pretend I took Ryan to his fifteen month.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!