Thursday, March 29, 2012

Scenes From Bedtime

Steve (leaving the room): Night night, Brigid.

Brigid (to me): Daddy go potty.

Me: No, kiddo, I think daddy's going to bed.

Brigid: No. Daddy go potty. Be right back.

------------------------------

Brigid (standing up in her crib about halfway through the Winnie the Pooh book I'm reading to her, while lying on the floor next to her crib, per her request): Daddy go potty. Be right back.

Me: No, I told you...daddy went to bed.

Brigid: Dramatic sigh, drops her head down into her hands.

-----------------------------------

Brigid (about two hours after she should have been asleep): Daddy, help me. Daddy!

Steve: What's wrong?

Brigid: My tummy hurts.

Me (a few minutes later, when Steve comes out of Brigid's room): Did her tummy really hurt?

Steve: No.

-----------------------------------

Brigid (ten minutes after Steve just left her room): Blow! Blow!
 
Me: You need to blow your nose?
 
Brigid: Yes.
 
Me: Is there anything else wrong, kiddo?
 
Brigid: Thumb in my mouth*. Night night.
-----------------------------------

And three hours later, the kid finally went to sleep.

The end.


* This whole 'thumb in my mouth' thing is a new Brigid technique for not answering any of our questions. I have no idea where she came up with it, but it started when we'd go through the pictures of the Winnie the Pooh characters in the front of the books we've been reading recently. Roo, Kanga, Piglet, Tigger, Owl, Rabbit, Pooh, Eeyore...she knows them all. She even corrected me when I said it was Roo in Kanga's pouch in one picture, because it was actually Piglet. Eagle eyes, that kid.

But when we get to Christopher Robin, she sticks her thumb in her mouth and refuses to answer, telling us (around that thumb, mind you) that she can't say his name because she has her thumb in her mouth.

It's nice to see she's applying it to other situations where she just doesn't want to talk to me, now...

2 comments:

  1. That kid is too smart for her own good. :) S is also perfecting the power of procrastination. Snots...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Bedtime has been a huge struggle around here lately too. The stalling is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!