Thursday, October 7, 2010

This time, last year...

This time, last year, I went into labor around 2pm, while at work.

This time, last year, I went into my boss's office and told her that I was leaving a little early and that I didn't think I'd be back again until January.

This time, last year, I called my mom as I was driving home from work, to tell her that I was pretty sure I was heading to the hospital in a couple of hours.

This time, last year, I was right.

------------------------------

This time, last year, I spent one loooong night alternating between painful contractions and a general state of passed outness due to a shot of pain medicine that the triage nurse had given me following my first trip to the hospital.  The trip where they sent me home for not being in labor enough to stay.  The trip where I asked the nurse when I would know to come back, and she said "Oh, you'll probably know when you wake up in the morning."  The trip that was followed by a second trip in at 6:00 am the next morning, after no sleep on my part, and only about two hours of sleep for your dad, when the nurse looked at me, barely able to stand up, and said "Oh, we expected you back here hours ago."

This time, last year, I may or may not have been cursing at everyone around me.

This time, last year, I didn't know just how totally worth everything you would end up being.

------------------------------

This time, last year, you were still just an idea.  You were a faceless little person inside of me, a little person who made my ankles swell and my back hurt.  A little person that I was very excited to meet, yes, but also very excited just to get out of me so I could finally sleep on my stomach again.

This time, last year, I didn't know what tired was.  I didn't know what worry was. 

I didn't know what to expect.

This time, last year, you were on your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!