Thursday, April 8, 2010

Six Months

Um, hi. My baby is six months old today. Six. Months. Old.

That, my friends, seems really old to me. I imagine that when she turns one, I may have a nervous breakdown. There has to be some way to stop time, right? Or at least slow it down? Some way to stop this whole baby-hood thing from going by too fast? No? You’re sure there’s not? I just have to try to enjoy it as much as I can right now while it’s happening? That doesn’t seem like enough to me, but I’ll try my best…


So, Brigid, you’re sitting up now, all by yourself. Granted, you’re still likely to keel over with no regard for your personal safety the moment you get tired of holding yourself upright, but I’m always there to catch you. You’ve started pulling your knees up under you when you’re laying on your stomach, and you can inchworm and roll your way all over the place. If you could just figure out what those arm things are for, you’d officially be on the move, but thankfully (for my sanity), you haven’t gotten that far yet.

You love food. I mean, you really love food. You love sweet potatoes and squash and green beans and apples and pears and OH MY GAH CARROTS!!! GIVE ME MY CARROTS, WOMAN! About the only thing we’ve come across so far that you absolutely refused to eat were peas, but the dogs enjoyed them, so they didn’t go to waste. I imagine you’re about ready to start on something (a very little) more substantial, judging by the laser-like focus you have on anything that anyone around you is trying to eat, but I don’t know that I’m ready to go that far yet. We tried the sippy cup with some water in it, but that went over about as well as the peas. I don’t know if it was disgust at the plain water I was trying to give you, or if the water just came out too fast for you, but we’re going to put that one aside for a couple of weeks.

You are a talker. Oh boy, are you a talker. Most of the time, I have no idea what you’re talking about, but you are bound and determined to get your point across. And sometimes, you actually do succeed. I know what the hungry scream means, so we at least have that. You love to sing along when mommy sings to you. Patty-cake has become one of your favorite games. When the bouncy swing tells you to jump, you jump. Because the bouncy swing is, like, the most awesome thing, like, ever. At least that’s what I translate the giggles and squeals coming out of you when you’re in the swing to mean.

The weather is finally starting to warm up, so you’ve spent a lot of time outside this past week, and you seem to love it. You’re just so much more alert now, and all of the colors and lights and sounds of the outside world fascinate you. One of the few times someone can actually sit down while holding you is when you’re sitting outside. Otherwise, if you’re being held, you need to be walking around because you have places to go and people to see and things to do. None of this lolly-gagging for you! We’ve started taking you into public more, and you’ve been a pretty well-behaved kid so far. You’ve been to the mall, and Kohl’s, and out to eat a couple of times, and for the most part, there haven’t been any public meltdowns. Of course, I have to knock on wood as I acknowledge this, because I’m sure the next time we go out will result in a full-on baby fit, but there you have it. You are a happy baby most of the time, as long as I stick to your schedule.

Oh, the schedule. We’ve finally got this nap thing sort of figured out, and I think you’re a less grumpy baby for it. And you’re so, so happy when you wake up. It’s by far my favorite part of the day when I’m at home with you, and getting to experience it in the morning and after both naps is amazing. You smile, and coo, and wiggle all over the place, and I love it.

You get a little excited to see mommy and daddy when we get home in the evenings. And heaven help me if I forget to take my jewelry off before I hold you. You grab and pull and act like I am the meanest mom in the world if I try to hold your hands away from my necklace. If I’m wearing it, it’s free game, and you’re darn well entitled to put it in your mouth! See, also: hair.

This month, you celebrated St. Patrick’s Day and Easter. You colored eggs and you took your first (extremely short) boat ride. You’ve moved on from the pacifier. You learned how to put your own foot in your mouth. You’ve started reaching for people to hold you. It only happens every once in awhile, and it may be by complete accident, but I’m still happy when you hold your arms out to me. You remain toothless, but I feel like we have to be close with all of the gumming and drooling that you do. When you take a bath, you get mesmerized by the water that comes out of sprayer on your bathtub. You stare at it, and grab for it, and just generally look like you can’t figure out what exactly is going on. You love mirrors, and you really love the pretty baby that you see in mirrors.

And you know what? I really love that pretty baby, too.

Happy six month birthday, Bug!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!