Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Who needs a prize winning fish?

I’m starting to feel a little bit of concern for my sanity. I mean, my kid, she’s cute and all, and now that we don’t have to be as concerned about germs and sickness and the effects of her heart condition, we are able to get out of the house some to experience life in the real world. But even with that, we don’t get out as much as we used to before she came along. And my replacement for life in the real world? It’s life in the fake world of We Rule (Yes, sorry, it’s another iPhone post. I told you I have a problem. My life, it is all baby and iPhone. Baby. And. iPhone.).

We Rule is an online world where I have a castle. And villagers. And a farm, a mine, a logging camp, a fishing pond, a windmill to grind grain, and a bakery. And I’m saving up to build a butcher shop. And there’s a big frog in a crown that hops around town that I think came with the pond. Even though it’s basically as big as the pond, and five times the size of the people. And I just placed an order for 10 conjurations from the wizard tower that Steve built over in his kingdom. And, oh my goodness, I am such a loser.

I blame my brother-in-law, actually. He keeps introducing me to these things. He started me on Words With Friends (although that is at least somewhat educational…or that’s what I tell myself), and he found the We Rule app. He’s the reason I have to set an alarm on my phone to remind me that I have crops to harvest before they go bad. He’s also the reason my OCD tendencies have manifested themselves in 150 redesigns of my village to make it juuuuust right from an aesthetic standpoint. I mean, my fake kingdom and its fake inhabitants deserve a well-planned lay-out. Am I right, or am I right? Of course I’m right.

Anyway, I used to make fun of Steve and Greg for a weird online game they played that involved building a city, and fighting other people’s cities, and forming alliances, and all of that nerdy stuff that I wanted no part of. Then Greg found this game for the iPhone, and I was all ‘Sure, I’ll be your friend! I want to harvest corn and build cottages!’ And now, my life is over, and Brigid is going to complain to all of her friends about how lame her mother is. And she’ll totally be right. In my defense, though, this all started while people were at my house watching the Masters, and golf is boring. I needed something to do that day. Unfortunately, I got hooked.

I’m ashamed of myself for it. And yet, I can’t stop. And I don’t think I want to. I want to get to the level where I can build the dragon’s lair. Because what’s cooler than a dragon’s lair?

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have carrots that are ready for harvesting.

Random tangent…when my sisters were younger and wanted to play with Barbies (Jess) or the doll house (Mary), I’d play along with them to the point where I could get everything situated and arranged the way I wanted it, then I’d try to talk them into a new activity. I like the initial set-up of a game. The maintenance of the game? I don’t have the patience for that. I think maybe that’s why I like this…every day there can be a new set-up! Plus, I always have to have something else to do when I’m watching tv, and it’s even actually come in handy when I work out. There’s this crop that takes 5 minutes to grow, and I use it as a timer for intervals on the elliptical, and…oh shut up. It’s not that bad.

1 comment:

  1. While you do a wonderful job presenting how nerdy we have all become, the truth is everyone else is just going to be jealous. When the time comes for one of us to run a small nation, we will be ready...

    Ill have a tavern built soon enough, drinks at my place for all those interested :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!