Monday, September 20, 2010

Vacation Hangover

So, we were on vacation last week. And it was awesome. We spent the week at the beach...we swam in the pool, we played in the sand, we tried to brave the seaweed in the ocean a time or two, we baked in the sun, we enjoyed the sea breeze.

We went deep sea fishing, finally (we say we're going to go every year), so check that off of my life list. I went along for the ride, because I know myself, and I knew I did not want to spend the money to actually try my hand at fishing. I hate fish. I hate bait. I hate reeling. I just wanted to sit on on a boat in the middle of the ocean and watch other people catch stuff. But I had to run my mouth. Something about how I wasn't allowed to fish because the guys were afraid I'd outshine them...and the next thing I know, I'm outfitted with a pole and a pile of smelly squid pieces. Apparently, since the boat was less than full, the mates decided I should give it a go. I caught a fish my first cast. I was excited. I dropped my line a couple of more times, caught nothing, got bored, and sat back down on my bench to ride out the rest of the trip. I am ridiculously happy I did not pay for the whole fishing aspect of the trip, because I would most definitely have lost money on the endeavor. Fishing is boring. Riding on a boat in the middle of the ocean is not.

We went shopping, we watched the sunset over the water, we went out to dinner a couple of times, I ate oysters. I ate a lot of oysters, actually.

I did not sleep past 7:30 in the morning 99% of the time because Steve has a thing for early morning fishing and Brigid has a thing for not sleeping in late for mommy. I did not nap, except for that one time I drifted off while sitting on the beach, when I may or may not have had a dream prominently featuring a certain cast member from So You Think You Can Dance. I did not read as many books as I usually do on vacation, since apparently when you have a kid, you are expected to take care of it even when you are on vacation.

Who knew?

I did, however, manage to get through one very good book and spend some lovely quality time on the beach, thanks to a husband who doesn't mind exchanging mornings fishing for afternoons on baby watch. And I have a lovely mother-in-law who doesn't mind staying behind a time or two so I can do vacation-type things with my husband without a baby in tow (that whole deep sea fishing thing? not exactly baby friendly...). And I have a fantastic sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and father-in-law, all of whom love my child dearly and are willing to allow me to pawn her off on them for various feedings and quiet moments of sanity (AKA showers).

And I have pictures! Well, I have iPhone pictures, that is.

I have pictures of Brigid's feet in the water and pictures of Brigid's first time in the sand. I do not have pictures of the clean-up after Brigid's first time in the sand, because that involved a whole lot of nekkid baby. And an outdoor shower. And maybe a pool.

Good times.










I have pictures of so much more, believe me, but those are on my camera. And we know how long it takes for me to upload those pictures to this here blog. I'm shooting for sometime this week, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

After all, I'm still on beach time over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!