Monday, May 10, 2010

Seven Months (plus, my first Mother’s Day!)

My little bug:

Seven months old! Well, we’re just motoring along, little lady, aren’t we? I swear, I think you grow and change by the day. This was a big month for you, but then again, I think they’re all big months for you, so whatever.

You graduated from single fruit and vegetable meals to meals that include meat this month, and so far, it’s gone well. You’ve loved the turkey (with turkey gravy) and the beef (with beef gravy…see the pattern?), and you seemed relatively accepting of the ham (with, SURPRISE!!!, ham gravy), but you weren’t so much a fan of the chicken (with chicken gravy…honestly, all the food is is gravy…isn’t it redundant to include that in the name?). Considering chicken activated some not so pleasant feelings in me during pregnancy, I wasn’t exactly surprised by that outcome, but there you have it. We’ve also added some mixed fruit concoctions to your diet (Woo! Gerber stage 2!**), and your father stocked us up on some baby juice and yogurt that we’ll probably try next. Despite my arguments that you’re still too young (which are kind of devalued by the fact that the pediatrician doesn’t think you are…), we’ve also tried a Cheerio here and there, and apparently, you’ve had some bread, although I was informed of that after the fact (Promise me that when you’re old enough to try new things out on your own, you won’t follow your dad’s example and tell me after you’ve already done it. Please?). That sippy cup we had so many problems with at the start? You are a master at it now! Well, you’re a master at it when someone is holding it for you, and we can’t get through a meal without a drink of water after every three bites (Maybe because baby food is gross? After your dad accidentally flipped some baby beef in his mouth, he definitely followed it up with a ton of water.). We’re still not entirely there when you hold it for yourself, because it becomes more of a chew toy than a water cup, but it keeps you happy, so we go with it. We do that a lot, actually…if you’re happy, we’re happy.

Except with the whole spitting food habit you’ve picked up. That seems to make you happy (as evidenced by the big grin you get as we try to wipe apples and blueberries or oatmeal out of our hair), but we’re not so much in agreement with you on this one.

We graduated to the big bathtub this month, and you love it. It’s a tricky business, though, and one that almost requires a swimsuit to participate in because you like to splash. A LOT. You also love to do push-ups, and when I come to get you up in the morning or after a nap, you’re usually on your stomach, pushing yourself up so you can see me over the top of your crib. It’s kind of funny, actually, to walk in and see this baby head looking back at you, but it’s probably about time we lower the mattress before you start to pull yourself up and over the railing. We’ve already had to lower your pack’n’play, since you were pulling yourself up on that.

Still no crawling, which doesn’t bother me in the least. You can move your arms, and you can move your legs, but you can’t seem to get the arms and legs going together. Apparently, you inherited your mother’s coordination, so yeah, sorry about that. You’ve developed this really intense baby stare, and it kind of reminds me of those weird paintings where the eyes follow you no matter where you are in a room. You’ve also started giving kisses, but you’ll only do it on your time. There are no kisses on demand, yet, but I’m working on it. Doesn’t matter, though, because surprise kisses from you might be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Actually, I take that back. You lay your head on your daddy’s shoulder when you’re tired, and that is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

You love a good game of peek-a-boo (especially when you’re the one hiding), and you give out high fives when asked, but only when you’re not too tired to play along.

You were a little party animal this month, with one packed social calendar. You celebrated your dad’s favorite four days of the year with him, dressed in the Master’s green, as appropriate. You co-hosted a Derby party where your hat and dress were by far the best of the afternoon. And you attended your first outdoor festival/concert, where you committed your first party foul. Not a bad month of work, I’d say. And you’re only going to get busier with a couple of trips to the beach and some good time on the lake to look forward to.

And to top the whole month off, you gave your mommy the best Mother’s Day smiles a mom could ask for, which I think is the best gift I’ve ever received. And the pretty necklace and spa gift certificate weren’t too shabby, either (although, I’m thinking most of the credit for those gifts goes to your dad, who is sweet and wonderful and awesome in his own right…).

So, happy seven month birthday, Bug! Mommy loves you more than you know.

Also, Happy belated Mother’s Day to all! And a special Happy Mother's Day to my mom, who I couldn't be with this weekend, but who taught me how to be the mother Brigid deserves. I love you Mom!


Oh, Steve. Always full of surprises…


**Yes, Brigid, this is what passes for excitement in our household these days, and no, your mother wasn’t always this lame. We just think everything you do is a big deal, and when we’re embarrassing you in front of your friends somewhere down the road, just remember that our over-excitement started here. Get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!