Thursday, May 27, 2010

Baby's first something...

Hey, you know what's ridiculously cute? When your daughter wakes up fussy, but smiles the minute she sees you, and greets you with unsolicited kisses as soon as you pick her up.

You know what's not so cute? When this is all happening at 2am. And it's the third time she's been up since she went down at 7:30pm, and it's the second time you've been up since you went to bed at 11:30. And you know she's exhausted by the way she keeps yawning and rubbing her eyes, but she refuses to sleep unless you're holding her and rocking her and walking her around the room. This was my night last night. It was like we were all transported back to the newborn era, but with a 20+ pound hoss to haul around instead of a 7 pound lump.

So, yeah, I'm tired today.

I know I've been ridiculously lucky. Brigid has basically been a fantastic sleeper so far, with very little input or effort from us, and she's generally a happy baby. It's all gone so well, in fact, that I'm always afraid to talk about it, because I know how karma reacts if you get too comfortable with things. Karma hates it. And apparently, karma now hates me. Damn you, karma.

(I don't mean it, karma...please give me my happy baby back! I'll go back to freaking out about every little thing, I promise! Just please, please let her be happy again!)

And since I haven't had to deal with excessively fussy baby before, I have no idea how to handle this. And, I have no idea what is wrong with her, either. We're not sure if it's teething, or if what I thought was allergies earlier this week was actually a cold which I've since passed on to Brigid. If it's door number one, then I'd better go home to about six teeth, because I don't think I'm going to make it through this phase if we go one by one. If it's door number two, then I suck, and I guess I deserve to be awake in the middle of the night.

This should be a good time for us all.

**It's looking like the bad mommy/cold sharing scenario is the winner. Apparently I have a very stuffed up little girl who hasn't napped because she can't really breathe through her nose while sucking her thumb (her falling asleep method of choice) waiting for me when I get home. Poor baby.




2 comments:

  1. The past two nights Madison has been doing the same things!!! Brian and I are both like walking Zombie's. I don't know if Brigid has any teeth yet, but Madison just had two break through. Let me just say, it was the most miserable week of my life when they finally decided to just barely break through her gums. She never slept, she didn't want to eat, play, nothing! She looked like she had a cold because she was so stopped up, but it ended up being her teeth. We got these things are Kroger, they are these little mesh things with a handle of them for the baby to hold onto. You can put ice or frozen fruits or vegetables in it and they love it for their teeth! This was a lifesaver during those couple of weeks. Oh yeah, and try rubbing children's liquid Benadryl on her gums, this might help too!!

    I hope this helps!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait...You deserve to be awake? Why am I then?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!