Monday, July 19, 2010

Denver, Part One

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this is going to be a pretty long post, my friends...and honestly, probably not a very good one, either, since these are all camera phone pictures.

So...enjoy.  Or something like that.

Friday was...well, let's just say Friday was basically beer day. And it was a good day. It was also a day that saw Steve and I asleep by 9:30pm, but there you have it. That's just how we roll now that we're old...

We headed up to Idaho Springs (an old gold mining town) Friday morning to do a little sightseeing, a little drinking, and a lot of eating, because we were in vacation mode, and that's what we do in vacation mode.

We started out at Tommyknocker Brewery and Pub, for a pre-lunch beer sampling stop.

(And not that I have anything against morning drinking, but this didn't involve morning was 12:15pm when we made this stop, which is 2:15pm home time anyway, so there.)

We were ridiculously full after the beer and sweet potato tater tots (Hello, AMAZING! And that's not just the beer talking...), so we did a little souvenir shopping before the next stop on the tour...and I traveled all of the way to Colorado to find an Irish store in which to buy Brigid a shamrock wall hanging for her room. Let's all agree I have no sense, and move on. Thanks.

We followed that up with a trip to Beau Jo's Pizza, which Steve was very excited about. Instead of taking a picture of the salad bar set-up in two claw foot bathtubs filled with ice, or the pizza with the insanely large crust that the place is known for, I took a picture of this:

What can I say? I like beer in a jar.

We left Idaho Springs to meet some friends who'd flown in that morning, and on our way out, we stopped to admire the scenery.

Actually, Steve and I just wanted to see exactly how cold the water in the Rockies is...

Turns out, it's cold.

Hey, more beer!

Golden, Colorado? Thanks for the refreshments.

We headed back to the hotel after this for a little time by the pool, a quick dinner with some friends, and the aforementioned 9:30pm bedtime. I'd say, all things considered, day one was a success.

Stay tuned for day two (pancakes! mountain lions! big rocks! oh boy!) tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I was very sad that reaching into the river I was unable to pull out a cold coors light...


Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!