Tuesday, January 17, 2012

You did what?

When I was a kid, my parents and I were on our way to...somewhere. West Virginia, to visit family, maybe? I think that sounds about right, but I honestly don't remember. Like I said, I was a kid.

And this is an excellent way to start a story, am I right?

Anyway, while we were driving, my sister, who was still in diapers at the time, had one of those 'you need to pull this car over right now, because if I have to sit in this stink one more minute, there will be hell to pay' kind of moments, resulting in my dad doing exactly what was required by pulling that car over immediately. After asking my mom where, in particular, she wanted to do the big change, and being told that anywhere was fine, my dad pulled into a cemetery.

And until this day, that has held up as one of the most inappropriate diaper changing stories I've ever been a part of. One which even spawned a 25-ish year old saying in my family that a cemetery is not, in fact, anywhere. One which was not even outdone (in my mind, anyway) by the time we changed Brigid's diaper in the parking lot of the Jim Beam distillery, because have you ever been to the Jim Beam distillery? There is literally NOTHING else around. We had no choice. I'm pretty sure there were other options, outside of the cemetery.

I mean....a cemetery. Really.

-------------------------

Last week, Brigid went a couple of days without a movement, for lack of a better word, and we were starting to wonder if we'd need to take a little action to help things along. She spent Thursday night, starting around 3am (so, I guess, Friday morning, actually), complaining of a stomach ache, to the point that Steve, who didn't have to work on Friday, spent the rest of his sleeping time lying on the floor of her room with her, rubbing her stomach until they both fell back asleep. But after that, she seemed fine, so we figured we could still wait it out.

Then, Saturday rolled around, and Steve volunteered to take Brigid with him when he went to the boat show with his father and brother, so that I could run some solo errands. And I was informed, when they returned, that the strike was over.

It had, in fact, ended at the exact moment they were touring a $600K+ houseboat, at which time Steve decided that the best place to change the FOUR DAY IN THE MAKING DIAPER was on the bed in one of the houseboat's bedrooms. So he did.

Congratulations, Steve...we have a new winner.

3 comments:

  1. Gotta do what you gotta do, right?! :) Glad she ... moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha!! Jack one had constipation problems when he was about 1. After a few days with no movement, he decided to let it all out...in the middle of the gap...down his leg! At least we were somewhere where we could get him a change of clothes...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!