Friday, August 31, 2012

First Day of School

We took Brigid to preschool for the first time this morning.
We walked into the classroom, she held onto my purse straps for 30 seconds, Steve asked her if she wanted to go play with the toys...
...and off she went. We barely got good-bye hugs out of her before she became too busy to deal with us anymore.
And just like that, she's too cool for her parents, now. It was a good (almost) three year run we had there with her, I guess.
Kids, man.

(Seriously, I am glad there was no drama in the preschool process...she went in, she loved it, we left her there for three hours. It was much less painful than I thought it would be. Of course, that didn't stop me from weeping to Steve as we got back to the car about how 'Brigid didn't know we were leaving! In ten minutes, she's going to look for us and realize we're gone and OH MY BABY!! She's going to be so upset!'

To which Steve replied, 'Honey? She knew we were leaving. She's just OK with it.'

Oh, fine. Whatever. She had fun. My ego is bruised. Everyone is happy. THE END.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad it was a good start! So much easier on mommy hearts that way.

    I will give a gentle warning to you though: for us, it was much harder on day 3. That's when it dawned on him that "hey, this isn't a one time gig." It was fine in the long run though! He loves it now! His teachers were awesome about helping him through it! And it may not happen for you guys! But just as a small little advance notice that it may happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those darn kids are so ungrateful.

    Elizabeth and I ran into IKEA today because I forgot something last time. (Drawer organizers. I know, how did I forget anything?) And the whole time, she looked for Little Miss Brigid and then she cried when we hadn't found her by the checkouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys both screamed bloody murder the first time they went to pre school. You were lucky there was no drama!! You little baby is starting to grow up!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!