Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yesterday was not a lot of fun...

Brigid is generally a very independent little kid. Sure, she loves her mom and dad, and she's always excited to see us, but she's always just as excited to see any other member of her family. Or, for that matter, she's just as excited to see anybody that she knows. She doesn't cry when Steve and I leave. She doesn't cling to us especially when there are strangers around. At our Super Bowl party the other night, I caught her snuggling on the couch with my brother-in-law's girlfriend, who had filled in as temporary nanny for us last month.

She doesn't cuddle on the couch with me, the little snot.

I'm kidding, of course. Not about the not cuddling part, because there really is no cuddling with that girl unless we can squeeze five minutes out of her with a quick showing of Elmo's World or something, but I am kidding about the snot part. It really doesn't bother me that she doesn't feel the need to be attached to my hip. My youngest sister? She was a mama's girl, all of the way, and it's nice that my kid doesn't scream every time someone other than me even looks at her. But, every once in awhile, it's also nice to have those little affirmations that, yes, sometimes Brigid just wants her mom...

Yesterday, I was home sick, with the black plague or horrible food poisoning or maybe just the smallest of stomach viruses (I don't know, I'm not a very good sick person...it all feels the same to me. I still have no idea what was wrong with me, but we'll just say it wasn't very pretty.). I spent almost all day in bed, venturing out of the bedroom once while Brigid was napping to eat some toast, before going back to sleep for the rest of the afternoon. Because that was taxing stuff, right there. Walking downstairs? Making toast? Exhausted!

Quarantined in my bedroom as I was, I only saw Brigid twice all day. Once, when Steve brought me dinner in bed (plain, whole wheat spaghetti noodles...only the best, of course) and again, right before her bath, when Steve brought her to the bedroom door to say goodnight. Both times, as they were leaving, Brigid started fussing and reaching for me, upset that Steve wouldn't put her down.

Now, I know my kid pretty well, and I understand that part of what had her so upset was that she wanted to come get in bed with me so she could play with the light switch remote, because her favorite thing to do is sit in our bed and turn the lights off and on. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. It's obnoxious, but she loves it. But, I'd also like to think that part of it was just Brigid missing her mom.

And that's kind of a nice thought to have...

3 comments:

  1. I am POSITIVE that she missed her mom.

    And I hope you're feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better!
    I do sometimes relish the fact that alex is a momma's boy...Jack never was...so it is nice...most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you are feeling. While Little S. is quite the cuddly character, sometimes on her off days, I just want to cry when she doesn't want to snuggle me before bed or kiss and hug me when she gets home from daycare.

    And I hate being sick, not only because it extra sucks and doesn't feel nice, but also because I feel so guilty that I'm shutting myself away from S. Silly... I know.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, if you'd like...I'd love to hear from you!